In-flight entertainment is a must when you are flying, and sometimes you want to just put on your headphones, listen to music, and drown out all the noise until you arrive at your final destination. If Spotify is your platform of choice, you’ll need to make sure you take some steps to ensure you can keep all the tunes going while you’re on airplane mode. Here’s all you need to know.
- Spotify Premium subscribers can enjoy uninterrupted music on airplane mode by downloading content beforehand. Non-Premium users, however, do not have access to their library while in airplane mode.
- To download content from Spotify, simply navigate to the desired playlist, album, or song, and select the download icon (a down arrow enclosed in a circle). Ensure you have enough content downloaded before your flight to keep yourself entertained.
- Enable the “offline playback” option in your Spotify settings to ensure your downloaded library remains accessible even when your phone is in airplane mode.
- In-flight Wi-Fi on some airplanes may allow you to access Spotify, but it can be unreliable, leading to potential disruptions in music streaming. Subscribing to Spotify Premium and downloading content in advance is a more reliable option.
- Take advantage of free trials or credit card perks to experience Spotify Premium temporarily if you are not already a Premium member, but remember that offline listening is exclusive to Premium subscribers.
Can I Listen to Spotify While in the Air?
If you are a Spotify Premium member, you can still listen to Spotify, even when you are on airplane mode. However, you can only listen to the content that you have previously downloaded. You cannot listen to playlists, albums or songs unless they have been downloaded to your device.
If you are not a Spotify Premium member, you cannot listen to music while on airplane mode. This feature is only available to premium subscribers. You may be able to snag a free trial if you’ve never signed up before or get one for free as part of credit card perks. Be sure to check into this prior to flying to see if you can take advantage if you’d like to listen to Spotify without using data.
How Do I Download from Spotify?
For those who have a subscription, navigvate to the playlist, album, or song you would like to download. Look for an icon with a down arrow and a circle around it and select it. Depending on what you are trying to download, you may be prompted to select what you want to download.
As long as you are connected to the internet or have cell service, these items should start to download to your device. You can even do podcasts and other material to help pass the time when you are in the air. Explore all your options and make sure you have more than enough content downloaded prior to leaving.
Additionally, you want to make sure that you have the offline playback selected in your settings to ensure that your library will be available when you’re in airplane mode. Once you confirm, you’ll be able to enjoy your content without being connected to the internet.
Can I Buy Wi-FI to Listen to Spotify?
Some airplanes are equipped with in-flight wi-fi, which will allow you to do connect once you’re given the all-clear from the pilot. However, this service is notoriously spotty, so you may not be able to count on it if you’re planning on using it to stream Spotify.
It’s best to subscribe and download your content prior to departure. You can always cancel it after you’re done using it. You are not locked into a long-term contract.
If you are a premium member, you can listen to Spotify on airplane mode. Just make sure that you have your content downloaded to your device prior to switching off your service. If you don’t, you will be unable to listen as Spotify streams over data. Free users do not have access to their library while in airplane mode.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I listen to Spotify on airplane mode without a Premium subscription?
Unfortunately, no. Only Spotify Premium subscribers can access their downloaded content while in airplane mode. Free users do not have this feature and will require an internet connection to stream music.
Will I be charged extra for downloading content on Spotify?
No, downloading content on Spotify is free for Premium subscribers. The subscription fee covers all features, including offline playback.
How much content can I download on Spotify?
Spotify allows Premium users to download up to 10,000 songs on each of their devices, with a limit of five devices per account. This generous limit ensures you can have a diverse selection of music for your flights.
Can I create and download custom playlists on Spotify?
Absolutely! Spotify Premium users can create custom playlists and download them for offline playback. This feature lets you curate the perfect soundtrack for your journey.
Will downloaded content take up a lot of space on my device?
While downloaded music does take up some space on your device, Spotify offers a “Download Quality” setting, allowing you to choose between different audio qualities to manage storage usage according to your preferences and available space.